Monday 23 July 2018

New Zealand - Te Araroa Days 1-9

It took me 59 days to walk the South Island of New Zealand - leaving Bluff at the very bottom and reaching Ship Cove at the top.
These were not consecutive days - they were broken up by zero days ( days when I did no tramping  - resupplying  with food in towns, resting, bad weather and side trips off the main trail) In the 6 Te Araroa posts I'll talk about my time on the track but there will also be links to my side trips

Before I started at Bluff I did a 9 day Northland Tramp as preparation - read about it here...
South Island Te Araroa Route

Tramping Day 1 November 15th 2017  Bluff to Invercargill  34km

I flew down to Invercargill on the 14th and was lucky enough to have a couchsurfing host there for a couple of days. I had done all my food shopping in Whangarei so there was no need to do a supply shop in Invercargill so I can't comment about the supermarkets there - but there's Pak'n'Save, New World and Countdown...
I tramped with just stuff for the day as I left the other 15kg back in my room at my couchsurfing host John's. But you could do the same with a backpackers -  leave most of your stuff  there - hitch or get the bus down to Bluff - then walk back to Invercargill and stay the night at said backpackers..
John worked as a milk tanker driver and very handily he worked quite close to Bluff so he dropped me off. As you can see it was pretty quiet at the signpost - well it was 6am and as I was to find out us NOBO's (Northbounders for those not down with TA lingo) were a rare breed.
Talking of lingo I'll use Kiwi terminology during the blog - so it's not hiking (or trekking or walking for that matter) but "tramping" and you tramp on tracks (not trails or paths or treks)  Although confusingly the most famous tracks eg Milford, Abel Tasman  are called the Great Walks...mind you one of them (Whanganui) is a canoe trip... :-)

Classic pictures at the Bluff signpost and it was off on Te Araroa - an easy start heading round Bluff Hill


However after a few km I hit a detour - farmland closed due to grazing bulls - not a great start to be taken off a nice walk just as soon as you got on it!



Talking of not a great walk you soon reach State Highway 1 - 16km of it - they reckon one day you won't have to do this (they plan to extend the Invercargill Estuary Walkway all the way to Bluff)  but for now you have to. You can divert onto the beach for a few km at the beginning but it's rocky and meanders in and out so not great tramping.

I'd probably just stick to the highway.  Hitching would obviously be an option but I really wanted to avoid it if possible and would have felt a bit odd doing it 2 hours from the start but it was a fairly unpleasant 3 hours..



The last 10km is along the Invercargill Estuary Walkway - not mind blowingly scenic but carless!! Well that was it - first day on Te Araroa completed.  If you need camping gas and even if you don't pop into E. Hayes & Son hardware store - great collection of motor bikes including many of Burt (World's Fastest Indian) Munro's


John kindly took me that evening to meet his father - a Scotsman who moved over to New Zealand in the 60's. It was a pleasure to hear him reminiscing about New Zealand  in those days -  very much a pioneer and number 8 wire (Google it!) type of guy. On Te Araroa I was to find that Kiwi spirit and attitude was very much alive...
   
   

 Tramping Day 2 November 16th 2017  Invercargill to Riverton  34km


Up bright and early as it was another big day - out of Invercargill was mostly road walking Then you hit the coast and it's Oreti Beach all 22 km of it - as you can see it was a beautiful day and not much of a headwind but by the time I got to Riverton I was one tired tramper. It was my first full day with a full pack - no way of weighing it but with 9 days food it must have been up near the 20kg mark! What does that feel like? - well imagine giving a 4 year old a 34km piggyback!


Riverton was quiet and sleepy by the time I got there - there was a fish and chip shop open and I was seriously tempted but I had brought food with me - if I didn't eat it I would have to carry it!!
I stayed at Monkey's Backpackers - a rambling old place and very quiet so had the dorm room to myself!
Oreti Beach



Tramping Day 3 November 17th 2017 Riverton to Long Hilly Track 18km

I started the day with a visit to Te Hikoi - an excellent little museum which tells how the Maori settled this area of Southland and the impact when the colonials arrived in the mid 19th century. Well worth an hour of your time...
Image result for te hikoi
I headed past the wooden jetties, out of town and into Mores Reserve - take the track to the coast  - lots of gorse to battle through here - reminded me of home! (Scotland) Eventually you'll reach the shoreline - but it's soft sand and you keep having to go on and off the beach and over the rocks! Slow going - 6km in 3 hours!




 Once you get near Colac Bay there's a small road to walk along which makes going a bit easier. You can stay at the Tavern Campground but I chose to tramp on a bit further  to Mahuru Cottage (021 033 8883) which is opposite the  Long Hilly Track. Scott and Hannah are great hosts - you can camp or they have a cabin as well. They live on what Kiwis call a "Lifestyle Block" - a small farm aimed at self sufficiency which was interesting to look round. 

The other bonus is that it takes 5km off the next days tramp to Martin's Hut - you'll be glad of that believe me!


Tramping Day 4 Nov 18th 2017  Long Hilly Track  to Martin's Hut  24km

 Got a bit of a late start after looking round Scott and Hannah's lifestyle unit – the first couple of km was easy and well formed as it's part of a day walking circuit but then the real TA began – a very dense forest with lots of streams, ditches and fallen trees to clamber over. 
The path – when it was visible (it's pretty well way marked with orange triangles) was littered with debris so you had to continually look at your feet –  it was slow progress – only averaged about 2km/hr for most of the day and the last bit up to Martin's Hut was a real steep slog.
Dense forest with remains of old bridges used by the miners
IMG_7429
There's a big gate to go through at one point - locked shut - squeeze your pack and body through the openings!


Martins Hut –113 years old (the hut - not me!) – a real historic relic (the hut - not me!)
Tramping Day 5 Nov 19th 2017  Martin's Hut to Longwood Forest Camp 24 km

Slept like a log so off to bit of a late start – didn't start tramping til 10.  A steep climb just after breakfast and lots of muddy forest tracks to negotiate.
 Once you reach the telecommunications tower on Bald Hill the going gets easier and there is a lovely descent through some mossy sunlit forest which was great.
I was running a bit slow so I camped at about km 132 – just an open area on the right at the start of Merrivale Road as you exit the forest.

Tramping Day 6  Nov 20th 2017  Longwood Forest Camp to Camp just before Mt Linton Station 26 km
Early start down to Merrivale Road  - met an instant road block as some big trees were being felled but managed to squeeze round! 
No cellphone reception around here and the public telephones are not in great shape either!!
Again mostly tough going in the forest today – tried to get as far as Struan Flat Rd but was pretty tired after 26km so camped just after some cellphone towers (just before you enter  a big cow field at Mt Linton Station) No sandflies around which was a big plus!
Camping spot for the night

Tramping Day 7  Nov 21st 2017 Camp just before Mt Linton Station to Telford Camp 32 km

Massive day today – up at 5.15am – always seems to take a while to get going in the morning. Usually about an hour and half between rising and leaving camp – I did get faster as the tramp progressed but not much! 
DOC sign - only 19km to Telford? - wrong it's 26km DOC!!





The countryside was much more open and picturesque today but it ended up being a 14 hour day (with breaks – probably 11 hours of tramping!)
Telford camp is not really a camp – it's not even flat and when I camped there there were a huge number of rock hard cow pats!! There is a long drop however!
Tramping Day 8  Nov 22nd 2017 Telford Camp to Aparima Hut 21 km

The 600m climb from Telford - rough ground made it pretty hard - tough first thing in the morning!
Another 5am start -  the first section to Wairaki hut was very tough – it took me 6 hours to do 7.5km!! The first 3 km from Telford camp was non stop uphill from 400m to 1000m – great view at the top but it was well earned.  It was then into the forest again – the usual mud, logs, streams to negotiate – 2km an hour stuff!
Lovely view at the top but back into the forest - one of the many obstacles!!
As I got near  Wairaki hut I got divebombed by a  NZ falcon which was guarding it's nest – thank God for my poles which I used to protect my head! Wairaki hut was a lovely spot for lunch (would have loved it to have been my place to sleep) but there was another 14km to cover before Aparima hut. The times on the DOC signs vary immensely – I took about 8½ hours to compete Telford - Aparima when the sign said it should be 6! Take those DOC estimates with a pinch of salt! It's also important to note that these are tramping times and don't include any stops – I probably stopped for about 10 minutes once every couple of hours plus ½hr at lunch. Also important  to think about your level of fitness – add about 10% to the times if you're not fit and maybe a couple of percent for every decade over 30!!

it was dark by the time I went over the swingbridge to Aparima Hut...
                                                            Aparima Hut

Tramping Day 9 Nov 23rd 2017 Aparima Hut  to Princhester Hut 18 km
Another long day – about 10 hours to Princhester hut (signboard said 6!) Mix of forest (usual tree trunks and streams to negotiate) and tussock grass. Following the waymarkers was tough as the tussocks were huge. It adds to the time as you can't walk in a straight line on those fields!
This way!! 

I didn't find the bones of any TA trampers just cattle! The dreaded tussock in the background!

The tussock - beautiful to look at but hard tramping!
The descent down to Princhester hut is difficult too – very narrow in places with a steep drop off. After getting to Princhester there was still a 6km tramp up the road to the highway where my friend Des was meeting me – After a couple of km I saw a car coming towards me – a man leaned out the window – asked me if I was Iain and handed me a cold beer!! What a legend!

Des

So my first TA section was over  - 9 days and 210km later – I was totally exhausted but proud that I had completed it.
In retrospect I would have probably done it a bit differently. That first 9 day section is a very tough start to NOBO TA.  It would have been better to break days 4-9  into 7 days instead of 6. It was 144 km and was tough going a lot of the way. As I was going NOBO  it came early in my tramp when I wasn't tramping fit.
This is what I would advise – do Bluff – Invercargill, Invercargill – Riverton then  Riverton -  Marahua Cottage on consecutive days then have a day off. Then tackle to 144km section from Colac Bay Camp/Marahua cottage to Princhester over 7 days...


Nov 24-28 I spent in Te Anau resting and doing the Kepler Track – a nice side trip off the TA – see my blog about it here