Wednesday 6 November 2013

Arrival in La Habana


 

Well I have safely arrived in Havana - just a small scare in Heathrow when an Air France employee told me I had missed my flight then in the same sentence told me I hadn't! Didn't stop me having a minor coronary though! Arrival in Havana was a lengthy process as I got stopped at customs due to the medication and surgical instruments I was carrying for Aniplant - still it was a good Spanish lesson and.after an hour they let me bring everything in
 http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos2/ta-0356-15ea-d379/old-havana-havana-cuba+13211107402-tpfil02aw-30860.jpg
Monday morning I headed down to the clinic with my meds which they were very grateful for and met the lovely people who volunteer down there. There wasn't't much going on in the afternoon so I went for a walk into Old Havana - Habana Vieja - the best thj g to do there is just to wander round aimlessly and get lost! Think Venice without any reapairs and you've got the picture There is barely a building that is not in a state of direapair - 60 years of deterioration since the Cuban Revolution - makes for a atmospheric environment but it wont be here for ever as every day buildings collapse!

Nora - who founded the clinic





Edgar the Vet

 Tuesday was operating day at the clinic - mostly dogs brought in by Cuban owners who cant afford private veterinary treatment - neutering costs £1.30!! No that isn't a typo! But with the average state wage being £15 a month you can see its in proportion Operations and carried out somewhat differently to the UK - the owner holds the dog for the anaesthetic and preparation of the operation site and then leaves for the operation - the vet does the operation through the side (in the UK we spay dogs underneath) - takes about 15 minutes - the owner comes in and takes the dog home stll semi anaesthetised! However the surgery was skilled levels of hygeine and pain relief good so I feel the animals and the people are getting a good service 



Tuesday was also noteable for the day both my digital cameras went wrong! Not good - although one of he seems.to repond if I bash against the floor - however I think this is not a long term solution! Just buy another I here you say - this is Cuba! Two choices - Black Market or Government Stores - I'll let you know how that one works out...! Not that there´s goning to be any uploading of pics at the speed I´m surfing ' remember dial up ' try halfing that!!

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/csm_120802_delhi_electricity1.jpg
Cuban Electrics!


Weather here has not been exactly tropical -poured down yesterday but today looks better - we also had to contend with a 24 hour powercut in our area yesterday - and when you have a look at the electrics its not difficult to see why! 
                                                    Adios for now ' The WanderVet