Friday 2 May 2014

Coffee Country

A short bus ride south brought me into the Zona Cafetera - coffee country The land required to grow the coffee has the added advantage if being picturesque - lots of little towns often beautifully situated in a "bowl" of hills. My first stop was El Jardin where I spent the end of Holy Week - Semana Santa. El Jardin is a small town of about 30,000 but it has a cathedral and plaza which would grace a capital city!
El Jardin
The Cathedral
The night I arrived was Good Friday and there was a service and procession called "Las Seite Palabras" The seven words of Christ - the whole town seemed to have gathered in the plaza and the cathedral spilled over. At the end of the service a figure of Christ was taken down from the cross and paraded round the town - amazingly atmospheric!

Jesus being taken down from the cross...

...and paraded in the streets

The rest of my time there was spent hiking in the hills above Jardin - the best scenery of Colombia so far!
View from the hostel kitchen window

A view over beautiful El Jardin


Friendly local

This is coffee country after all....



 

A rural paradise but with a military presence - the further south you go the more guerilla activity there is..  however FARC have promised not to come into the towns


 

 My next destination was Salento - 3 buses and 7 hours south The first bus ride was one of the bumpiest I have ever taken - unmade roads, massive potholes and vertigo inducing drop offs added to the fun! Salento is another cute pueblo - what wasn't cute was the arrival of a rainy cold front - very English weather 6 degrees above the equator!! It didn't put me off my hiking as you can see but I did get soaked to the skin for my trouble!
The road to Salento!!!


Lots of creepy crawlies around....

 


Hummingbird in Corcora Valley

I was due to take a little trip to Pijao just a couple of hours away but sadly the lady with the only hostel there had closed it up for three months -  I mean what kind of person gives up their job and goes off for months on end...? ;-)
Corcora Valley

Tejo - a bit like boules but when you hit the little triangular papers they explode -  they are packed with dynamite you see!!

 Plan B took me to Popayan - the furthest south this trip would take me. It  also brought me in touch with more Scottish people than I had seen in the last 5 months! The hostel I stayed in was run by Scots - the guy in the next bed to me in the dorm was a Scot and that evening we went out to a bar run by - yeah you guessed it another Scot! Colin the bar owner twisted our arms at the end of the night and took us to a Pena - an Andean dancing club! It's difficult to describe Andean dancing - suffice to say I am no better at Andean than I am at Salsa!! It was a great experience though made all the better by the friendly locals dragging us uncoordinated gringos onto the dance floor!

Popayan Plaza complete with resident Shetland Pony!! The Scottish connections are everywhere....




Gotta be the cutest dog of the trip!!

 After 3 hours sleep I had to hop on another bus - this time east to the strange land of Tierradentro - this translates as "The Land Inside" a name given to it by the Spanish because it's landscape seemed so unusual it didn't resemble the lands around it. The scenery here was stunning - huge wooded valleys and gorges. A great hike took me around the town and from one valley to another. Dotted around the countryside are amazing underground tombs some from the 6th century - amazingly some had original paintings inside.
Gorgeous scenery here in Tierradentro

Ancient sculpture

Another ancient sculpture with my faithful hounds Mokus and Mono who followed me round the valley for 7 hours!!


Inside of the tombs with preserved artwork

The descents into the tombs were pretty steep!


Mokus waiting for me at the tomb entrance...


Colombian Army - nice smiley guys!

There is still some FARC sympathy down here - these stencils on a wall glorifying these terrorists...

 The plan after Tierradentro was to move onto San Agustin - another area with archeological parks but Colombia's farmers had other ideas - they called a "Paro"  - literally a stoppage - tractors and combine harvesters blocked the road and nobody was going anywhere! The Paros can last weeks so I felt myself lucky in some ways that I had not got to San Agustin as I could have been trapped there! Every seasoned traveller has a Plan B - in this case the B stood for Bogota and I hopped on the bus to Colombia's capital!
The Paro is here - don't I know it!!
Yeah - no passe!!
Comments? Questions? Suggestions? email me at iain.mcallister@googlemail.com